Despite being a classic Mexican breakfast, Huevos Rancheros have a good deal of nutrition packed into them. A healthy breakfast that features avocados, eggs, diced tomatoes, beans and ham is one of the most nutritious ways to start the day.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 Red Onion Diced
- 1 Red Pepper Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 1 Tin of Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tin of Kidney Beans
- 4 eggs
- 4 Tortillas
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice
- Salt, Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika.
- 1 tsp Mustard preferably whole grain
- 1 tsp Honey
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add onion, pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for around 5 mins or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes & kidney beans and season with cayenne & paprika to your liking. Cook for around 10 mins for the sauce to thicken.
- Add Mustard & Honey and stir.
- Make 4 dips in the ingredients and add an egg to each dip. Cover the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes (or until the egg is cooked to your liking).
- Meanwhile, heat the tortillas; e.g., for 30 seconds in a microwave.
- Serve with hot tortillas and fresh avocado. Squeeze some lime juice onto the avocado to finish.
- Add Fresh Chili in step 1 for more of a kick!
- Add cooked sliced/pulled chicken, beef, pork with step 3 for more protein!
- Add grated cheddar cheese at the end of step 4 for added deliciousness!